Merry Christmas! ‘Tis the season for giving and expressing gratitude! While everyone seems to be full of joy, the holidays can be stressful and I want to remind you that it is okay to do something for yourself. In fact, I encourage you to do just that!
Life is hard. I think it’s important that we acknowledge that, and even more important that we do something about it. In the midst of this busy time of year, it is easy to forget about ourselves.
Self-care is a concept that is so simple, yet so foreign to most of us. I believe it is important that people take at least five minutes out of their day to practice self-care. Thus, here are 25 strategies for when the stress becomes too much.
- Pour yourself a tall glass of lemon water; it can be ice cold or steaming hot. Drink it and then pour more.
- Dim the lights, light a candle, and run yourself a warm bubble bath.
- Go for a walk; walk for two minutes or two hours.
- Cuddle with your pet; if you don’t have one, cuddle your favourite stuffed animal
- Put on headphones and listen to an instrumental playlist
- Lie down, close your eyes, and focus on your breathing. Breathe into your stomach.
- Get up, do your hair and makeup, and put on your favourite outfit. Do this even if you aren’t leaving the house.
- Eat a fruit salad.
- Read “The Healing” in Rupi Kaur’s Milk and Honey.
- Watch your favourite childhood movie.
- Watch an episode of your favourite sitcom.
- Write a letter to someone important in your life. Make sure they get it.
- Make a list of all the things you are grateful for in this moment.
- Call your mom; call your grandma; call anyone unexpectedly.
- Make a collage with pictures that make you happy; set it as your desktop background.
- Moisturize your entire body, put on fleece pyjamas and fuzzy socks.
- Lay down with a hot water bottle or heating pad on your stomach.
- Clean your bedroom, clean your bathroom, or clean your kitchen; enjoy the space.
- Go to your favourite cafe and treat yourself to a hot drink. Sit and drink it there alone. Reflect.
- Finally treat yourself to that thing you have wanted for ages.
- Make a to-do list of little things you want to get done today Start with making this list; cross it off when your list is complete.
- Look up funny cat compilation videos on YouTube. If cats aren’t your thing, look up funny baby compilation videos.
- Look up journal prompts. Write.
- Look through old photo albums and/or watch old home videos.